The Franciscan Retreat Center at Mount St. Francis provides a quiet, reflective place of beauty for people of all denominations for retreats, conferences, meetings, workshops, seminars, select celebrations or just time away.
Our staff strives to combine the beauty of our surroundings with comfortable, simple, clean facilities and nutritious food.
The Charism of the center is the Franciscan tradition of sharing, hospitality, and joyful service.
The Congregation of the Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration was founded in Olpe, Germany in 1863 by Mother Theresia Bonzel, who was recently beatified by Pope Francis. The primary ministries of the Congregation, which continue today, are: Living the Gospel; Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament; Caring for the sick, elderly, poor and powerless; Education; and Responding to unmet needs of others.
In 1875, the political unrest in Germany made the further growth of the Congregation impossible, curbing many of the activities to the religious life of the Sisters. Receiving an invitation from an American Bishop, the sisters headed to the United States and arrived in Lafayette, Indiana, where they promptly established a hospital and a school. Their growth continued until 1932 when they decided to expand their ministry further west to Denver, Colorado. The Denver sisters were blessed with the gift of a large estate (formerly The Modern Woodmen of America Tuberculosis Sanatorium) in Colorado Springs.
In 1954, the sisters moved to Colorado Springs and named their campus Mount St. Francis. The Mount is “home” to all of the Sisters of St. Francis, and particularly to the sisters who live and minister here. In addition to being their home, Mount St. Francis is also the location of their following ministries: MSF Nursing Center, Franciscan Community Counseling, St. Francis of Assisi Parish, Women Partnering and, of course, the Franciscan Retreat Center.
Learn more about the Sisters of St. Francis and their dedicated mission and impact on their website.